Does the institution or physician have to apply the recommended solution?

The service quality commissioner and the medical examiner, just like the Health and Social Services Ombudsman, have the power to make recommendations. They do not have the power to impose measures as a court would. Their approach is based on conciliation, that is, they seek solutions that are satisfactory to everyone involved.

What can I do if I disagree with the outcome of a complaint?

If you disagree with the conclusions or recommendations of the service quality commissioner, if the latter has not informed you of his conclusions within 45 days, or if the institution concerned has not acted on the service quality commissioner's recommendations to your satisfaction, you may file a complaint with Health and Social Services Ombudsman.

In the case of a complaint involving a physician, if you are dissatisfied with medical examiner's conclusions, you have 60 days to submit your complaint to the review committee designated by the institution's board of directors. The review committee will hand down a final decision within 60 days, and explain the reasons behind its decision.

How will the Health and Social Services Ombudsman handle my complaint?

The Health and Social Services Ombudsman is independent from institutions, regional boards and even the Ministère de la Santé et des Services Sociaux. The Ombudsman can help you formulate and file your complaint, if required.

The Health and Social Services Ombudsman will proceed to re-examine your complaint by:

  • hearing your version of the facts;
  • reading the conclusions of the service quality commissioner;
  • consulting the relevant documents as well as your record, if necessary;
  • meeting with people involved;
  • informing you as soon as possible of his conclusions, the reasons behind these conclusions and, if applicable, the recommendations made to the institution.

Is my record confidential?

To learn all the facts and the circumstances that gave rise to your complaint, the people responsible for examining the complaint may consult your record, but must keep its contents confidential.